Learn about all of the components of the CDA process by taking our free CDA Tutorial:
CDA 101: A Practical Guide to Understanding the CDA
The CDA process has several steps. Care Courses can help. The training portion can be completed with Care
Courses, and our specialists can answer questions about all of the steps. Confused? Contact us at 1-800-685-7610
or send an email to: cda@CareCourses.com for help with your CDA or CDA
1. To prepare for your CDA, you must satisfy these requirements:
2. To apply for your CDA, you must:
- Hold a high school diploma, or equivalent, or are a junior or senior in a high school vocational program in
- Be able to speak, read, and write well enough to perform the responsibilities of a CDA.
- Complete 120 clock hours of formal childcare training (specific to the credential type).
- Have 480 hours of (volunteer or paid) experience working with young children in a group setting within 3
years of submitting your CDA application.
- Purchase a CDA Competency Standards book from the Council: 1-800-424-4310 or yourcouncil.org. Choose the book specific to the setting for which you wish to apply
(Family Child Care, Infant/Toddler Center-Based, or Preschool Center-Based). Read the CDA Competency
Standards book carefully. We recommend that you order this book from the Council as soon as possible.
- Develop a Professional Portfolio (within 6 months of application) that includes: Family Questionnaires,
Resource Collection items, Reflective Statements of Competence, and a Personal Philosophy Statement. You can use our How to Create Your Professional Portfolio video to assist you.
- Find a Professional Development Specialist at CDACouncil.org (or call
the Council for assistance) and get his/her ID number.
- Complete the CDA application (in the CDA Competency Standards book)
- Submit your application online at YourCDA.org ($425) or submit by mail to the Council ($500)
3. Once you have completed the steps above, schedule your Verification Visit and CDA Exam.
4. And finally, await the Council’s decision as they review your Cumulative Score from the Verification
Visit and the CDA Exam.
Are you ready to start your Infant/Toddler CDA? Start your CDA classes today!