Learning Outcomes for Transitions and Other Troublesome Times
Lesson 1: Transitions Between Activities
After completing Lesson 1, you will be able to
- identify reasons why transitions between activities are often difficult for young children;
- describe strategies for making transitions between activities a smooth and pleasant experience;
- identify positive guidance techniques for supporting children’s needs during transitions between activities.
Lesson 2: Challenging Times in Children's Days
After completing Lesson 2, you will be able to
- identify strategies for making lunchtime and naptime enjoyable and peaceful for everyone;
- indicate strategies for keeping children happy on indoor days;
- describe ways of making special occasions meaningful and successful;
- describe procedures to end the day pleasantly and send children home in a happy frame of mind.
Lesson 3: More Changes and Challenges
After completing Lesson 3, you will be able to
- discuss the challenges of transitioning from home care to child care, and how to help children and parents adjust to your program and overcome separation anxiety;
- describe strategies for easing the stress of transitions between age groups in early childhood programs;
- identify the challenges of transitioning to kindergarten and how to support children and their parents, including parents of children with special needs;
- outline strategies for easing the stress of challenging changes at the program, including staff turnover, staff absences, and changes in program policies.
Click here to return to the course description page.