Take Our Free CDA Tutorial to Learn How to Get Your Family Child Care CDA Credential:
CDA 101: A Practical Guide to Understanding the CDA
Care Courses can help. The training portion of your CDA can be completed with Care Courses, and our specialists can answer
questions about all of the steps. Confused? Contact us at 1-800-685-7610 or send an
cda@CareCourses.com for help.
1. To prepare for your CDA, you must satisfy these requirements:
- Hold a high school diploma, or equivalent, or are a junior or senior in a high school vocational program in
- Be able to speak, read, and write well enough to perform the responsibilities of a CDA.
- Complete 120 clock hours of formal childcare training (specific to the credential type). Take Care Courses CDA course set to meet this requirement!
- Have 480 hours of experience (volunteer or paid) working in a family child care setting with children ages birth to 5 years, within 3 years of submitting your CDA application.
- Purchase a CDA Competency Standards book from the Council: YourCouncil.org. Choose the book specific to the setting for which you wish to apply
(Family Child Care, Infant/Toddler Center-Based, or Preschool Center-Based). Read the CDA Competency
Standards book carefully. We recommend that you order this book from the Council as soon as possible.
- Develop a Professional Portfolio (within 6 months of application) that includes: Family Questionnaires,
Resource Collection items, Reflective Statements of Competence, and a Personal Philosophy Statement. You can use our How to Create Your Professional Portfolio video to assist you.
2. To apply for your CDA, you must:
- Find a Professional Development Specialist in your area using the Find a PD Specialist link on the Council’s website, and get his/her ID number.
- Submit your application online at YourCDA.org ($425) or submit by mail to the Council ($500).
3. Once you have completed the steps above, await the Council’s Ready to Schedule notification and then schedule your Verification Visit and CDA Exam.
4. And finally, await the Council’s decision as they review your Cumulative Score from the Verification
Visit and the CDA Exam.
Are you ready to start your Family Child Care CDA? Start your CDA classes today!