Image for state of california

California Childcare Professional Development | Care Courses

National Childcare Credentials in California

Use our courses toward a CDA Credential and for NAC and CDA renewal.

California Childcare Training Requirements

All Care Courses can be used as professional growth activities toward renewing a Child Development Permit with prior approval from your professional growth advisor.

California ECE Registry Training

All Care Courses are accepted by the California Early Childhood Education (ECE) Workforce Registry. For California Registry training credit, please add your California Registry ID number to your Care Courses account. Thank you!

Child Development Associate Teacher Permit

Use Care Courses to obtain and renew a Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential. Getting a CDA certification qualifies you for the Child Development Associate Teacher Permit and may also be used as nine semester units of credit toward the overall 24 semester unit requirement for the other Child Development Permits.

To renew a Child Development Permit, you must plan a program of professional growth activities in consultation with a professional growth advisor. Permit renewal requires completion of 105 hours of professional growth activities in at least two of eleven categories and submission of the renewal documents and fee every 5 years. Speak with your professional growth advisor to see how Care Courses may be used toward the renewal categories, such as:

  • Attend staff development programs
  • Participate in a program of independent study
  • Improve basic skills

For detailed instructions on permit renewal, please refer to the Child Development Permit Professional Growth Manual from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

Our courses are accepted in L.A. County for the education requirements for the Investing in Early Educators Stipend Program only if you already have a BA/BS (or higher) degree.

Our Lead Safety in Child Care course does not meet the Lead Poisoning Prevention requirement for California. The CA Lead Poisoning Prevention training is now fully incorporated into the required Health and Safety Training.

Opening a childcare facility in California

For those of you interested in starting a daycare or home-based childcare facility in California, please contact your state licensing using the contact information below. The licensing agency can give you advice on the requirements, rules and regulations of your state.

California Department of Social Services

Child Care Licensing Program
Phone: (916) 651-6040

Child Care Advocates Program
Phone: (916) 654-1541


What our California students say:

Image of Children Gardening
"Care Courses are great! They have helped me tremendously. They are an excellent source for learning and I am thankful to all concerned for putting it together and keeping it going. The service is extremely good. Love you, Care Courses!"

- Palm Springs, California
Image of Child and adult reading
"I've immersed myself in this Care Course and have enjoyed everything I've enjoyed so far. It's not at all like studying due to the interesting articles and information. This course is the first of many courses toward my CDA certificate and hopefully continuously as ongoing education. Thank you so much."

- Ventura, California
Image of Toddler playing
“I have truly gleaned so much helpful information from these courses and am grateful Care Courses are so easily accessible and easy to navigate. Staff were made available if assistance was needed and I am already practicing what I have learned!”

- Rancho Cucamonga, California